Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Part B

Super Sally from Jessi on Vimeo.



Artist's Statement

Since childhood, I have surrounded myself with cartoons and movies, becoming well versed in modern animation and cinema. I find that I can never be serious or quiet when it comes to watching films and TV. I am in the habit of pointing out flaws and issues with realism and story. Yet, I use that as motivation and inspiration to create my own fantastical worlds and to correct those aspects that trouble me in others’ films and animations.

I use animation as my medium because of its simultaneous use in children’s and adult programming. Animation is the only suitable media for this piece because both the content and medium struggle to create a decisive separation between industry and the singular artist. Animation constantly fights to be seen as something other than purely children’s entertainment, to speak the same messages as other media in its own unique language. While this piece maintains a child-like simplicity and aesthetic, it communicates the lack of commercial animation; The unusual use of a singular individual, myself, as the sole creator is meant to cause the viewer to critique the industry and its excess as well as jab at traditional stereotypes of cinema such as female heroes, the damsel in distress, and monster movies.

Sally is the archetypal female heroine, fighting a monster and utilizing allies to save her city from certain destruction. She is active in finding her savior but does not pursue the traditional prince charming. Her unconventional protector pokes fun at the hero role. The finale alludes to the happily-ever-after ending, making a joke of the protagonists’ love story. With these elements combined, the conventional fairy tale is twisted into an oddity that breaks down established conventions of the genre. Animation allows a double narrative, one that suggests simple child’s play and one that is imbibed with social contemplation.

No comments:

Post a Comment