Sunday, December 5, 2010

Lecture: Polly Apfelbaum

I'm finally getting this up online. I had to watch these in the library because of my wonderful, crazy life and taking care of every family member besides myself!

Anyway, on topic! The strongest thing that I gathered from her was the way she wrapped and warped everything she said in strange directions and shapes. I mean that metaphorically of course but it was odd how she was constantly contradictory of her process and display practices. Her work came off the same way in my opinion. I disliked her idea that her work was entirely open to interpretation. I think she needs more focus than that. I personally find it a cheap cop-out to say that your work can mean anything. However, her pieces made me feel good when looking at them with the color and styling choices.

I thought she was an enigmatic person overall. I think if I had more time to tap into her thought process some of this would make more sense but overall I enjoyed what she had to show. I was pleasantly surprised by her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment